MBOMBELA – Community members took to the streets on Tuesday, calling for justice to take its course following an alleged rape incident at a local school in the city.
The protest march began at the Crossing Shopping Centre then proceeded to the provincial legislature offices, where protesters submitted a memorandum of grievances, demanding justice.
At the forefront of the march was the mother of a rape victim, a rape survivor herself. She spoke out against the alleged rape of the seven-year-old from Matatiele, revealing that her daughter was also sexually assaulted by a teacher at Curro school in the city last year.
“I am standing here as a rape victim at the age of 12, and that is why I decided to stand and say: ‘Not with my child again,” she proclaimed. My daughter was sexually assaulted by a teacher at Curro, and the perpetrator is roaming free in the streets of Nelspruit. I am now dealing with a suicidal child because the justice system has failed us.”
The police confirmed in a statement that a case was opened against the 24 year-old teacher and he was arrested in November last year. However, the matter was not enrolled in court as prosecutors issued instructions that required further investigation
“Consequently, the alleged suspect was released pending ongoing investigation. The probe has since continued, and the docket has been submitted to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for a decision. The SAPS encourage members of the public to report any violations of their rights and promises to provide assistance as needed,” said the police.
READ | Suspect rapes his grandmother and cousin
Protesters demanded justice for Cwecwe and her daughter, calling for Curro Nelspruit to be shut down.
Lebogang Mokoena, a community activist said the ANC Youth League, took the initiative to march in solidarity with the victim as they firmly believe that gender-based violence must be stopped. Perseverance Masuku, a community said as a father raising a girl child, the thought of what happened to the rape victims is unbearable. “As men, we need to stand up and protect young girls and women from sexual abuse.”
PICTURES:



The Department of Education spokesperson, Gerald Sambo said the department takes a stern view of misconduct, including sexual harassment, considering it a serious breach of the law. He emphasized the importance of school principals reporting allegations of sexual harassment, ensuring swift and effective action is taken to address these issues.
The march was part of nationwide protests led by human rights activists and civil society organisations, calling for an end to gender-based violence and greater accountability from those in power.





