MBOMBELA- As Mpumalanga officially launched it 2025 Easter Road Safety Activation yesterday, the emphasis was on safety of all humanity.
This was further highlighted by the MEC for Community Safety, Security and Liaison, Jackie Macie who said the
main objective this weekend is putting a lot of emphasis on safety on the roads.
“We will exert a lot of pressure in ensuring that people and vehicles are safe on our roads from the eve of Easter on Thursday until Easter Monday and going forward. In order to ensure that safety is the order of the day, we’ve introduced a machinery that will test the eligibility of all vehicles that they are mechanically right to be on our roads throughout our main routes in all our major roads leading in and out of the province to neighbouring ones, including en route to Eswatini and Mozambique, too.”
READ | Premier calls on drivers to adhere to road rules
He added that traffic officials will be vigilant and very visible conducting stop and search and examining each vehicle.
“As the long weekend kicks-off, motorists must ensure they rest every two hours and enjoy our amenities during their instead of rushing. Come Monday when everyone returns home or back to their respective work areas, they will all be in one piece and well rested and safe,” concluded Macie.
MEC for Public Works, Roads and Transport, Thulasizwe Thomo assured road users that his department has ensured that all road networks are in good order through the department’s Kubhunya Lutfuli initiative to ease driving on the roads.
READ | City Of Mbombela sets wheels in motion to ensure road safety
“All the major routes will be compatible for all vehicles to use, including tourists on their routes. My message to road users is to exercise maximum caution and adhere to speed limits and rules and regulations on the roads in order to save lives.
“Compared to 2023, last year the province improved its efficiency with a small margin, but I’m hoping for a better improvement with lower accident figures this year,” he said.





