Recovery damage costs are estimated to be approximately Two Billion Rand following the persistent heavy rainfall that has left a trail of destruction.
This was stated by premier, Mandla Ndlovu during his inspection of the flood-stricken areas, together with the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), Velenkosini Hlabisa on Saturday, January 17, 2026.
This includes Msholozi where a 45-year-old woman and a toddler were swept away by water near a bridge in two separate incidents last week. Another incident occurred in Ga-Moreku, Bushbuckridge where Sepolisi Aaren Silubane lost his life.
Premier Ndlovu pleaded with Good samaritans, the community and foundations, to lend a helping hand.
“The damage estimation so far is roughly close to R2 billion and with our fiscus, we cannot fix all the damages incurred.”
READ | Mpumalanga floods leave trail of destruction
The Minister said since the province could not afford the costs on its own, a meeting would be convened where all three spheres of government would be activated to re-prioritise budgets in order to intervene in affected communities.

“Interventions will be made so that life can go back to normal. I was also impressed when the premier and the MEC informed me that the bridge where Esther Mathenjwa was washed away, would be temporally repaired to allow communities and vehicles to cross over. “Already, a permanent plan has already been made in terms of building a permanent bridge and which will at no stage place the lives of our communities at risk,” said the minister.

Mathenjwa was swept away by water last Wednesday evening on her way from work and her body was recovered the next day. She will be laid to rest on Tuesday, January 20.





