Woman collapses as homes are demolished

MATAFFIN- “As they chucked us out of the house I saw my mother lying down on the ground.”

The above describes what transpired this morning in an area demarcated for a cemetery where some people including Lesedi Tshaka’s family occupied the land illegally.

Tshaka related how they were forcefully removed by Security Consortuim SA. She had been informed by her mother to remove their furniture earlier on after she heard that the municipality would come to demolish.

WATCH: Houses being demolished

“When my mother bought this stand she was not aware it was a risk to build a structure. However, today we have no place to sleep and my mother just collapsed. We are helpless and do not know what to do,” she cried hysterically.

READ | Sindane family to relocate following Exxaro judgement

The family of eight has been residing there since 2019. Among other residents is a woman who spoke on anonymity said she had received a letter stating they would be evicted after the Covid-19 pandemic. She admits she took it lightly because the person who had sold the piece of land to her had assured her all was in order.

A court order stating that in the event that the First Respondents who are currently in
occupation of the structures erected fail to vacate the property within three months after the state of national disaster has ended was issued.

SEE COURT ORDER:

City of Mbombela Local Municipality spokesperson Joseph Ngala said the stance of the municipality remains the same.

“The Matsafeni Community Trust took the matter to court. In any event, we are against any form of land invasion irrespective of whether the land belongs to the municipality or not. It impacts negatively on our planning and development because the minute people invade land, they demand services. Some even tamper with the services provided like water and electricity that are budgeted for,” said Ngala.

Matsafeni Community Trust spokesperson, Benny Mabunda declined to comment due to the conditions of the court order. However, he referred to their attorney who could not be reached.

Related articles

Public Works senior officials, services providers busted for R52m PPE corruption

A joint operation of the Special Investigating Unit, Hawks and the National Prosecuting Authority have uncovered corruption related to Covid-19 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). They have seized various assets and properties valued at approximately R52.6...

Special task team assembled to fight crime

DAANTJIE- More than 100 South African Police Service members have been deployed to a Special Task Team. This was revealed on Thursday afternoon by Acting Provincial Commissioner, Major General Zeph Mkhwanazi where he instructed deploys...

Speedster arrested on the N4 Schoemankloof Road

The Mpumalanga Community Safety, Security and Liaison Traffic Intervention Unit (TIU)  arrested a 40 year old male for excessive speeding on Tuesday. The driver was travelling in a Black VW Golf 5 on the N4...

“We are all guilty as charged” says MEC Jackie Macie

The MEC for Community Safety, Security and Liaison, Jackie Macie says the rampant crime affecting Dludluma area, is everybody’s business and everyone is at fault. This was during the Stakeholder Engagement held on Friday, 12...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.