SCHOEMANSDAL – The South African Police Service (SAPS) is leaving no stone unturned in its pursuit of justice for the killing of 47-year-old Sergeant Lawrence Mtshweni, who was stationed at Schoemansdal Police Station in Nkomazi.
National Police Commissioner, General Fannie Masemola announced that one suspect had been apprehended, and the police are hot on the heels of those still on the run. He said this during his visit to the slain officer’s family on Sunday, August 10, 2025.
Sergeant Mtshweni was fatally shot while responding to a business burglary at a local supermarket in Schoemansdal, in the early hours of the morning on Saturday, August 9, 2025. Unfortunately, the police officer succumbed to his injuries while receiving treatment in hospital later that day.
“We have arrested one suspect in the killing of Sergeant Mtshweni, and we are hot on the heels of those who are still on the run,” General Masemola said.
READ | Cop murderer to spend 20 years behind bars
“We are quite confident we’ll find them. We are definitely confident that we have got the right person, and we know who we are looking for, it’s just a matter of finding them.”
The national police commissioner further disclosed that the perpetrators, estimated to be between seven to 10 individuals, appeared to be familiar with firearms, given the precise shots fired at Sergeant Mtshweni’s upper body.
Additionally, he reported that SAPS had suffered the loss of three officers in the line of duty within the past 24 hours. Despite this, General Masemola assured the public that the police would continue to respond to threats with proportional force in their pursuit of justice.
As such, the national commissioner led a delegation of high-ranking officials that included the deputy national commissioner for policing, Lieutenant General Tebello Mosikili, Mpumalanga police acting provincial commissioner Major General Dr Zeph Mkhwanazi, Community Safety, Security and Liaison MEC Jackie Macie, and Ehlanzeni police district commissioner, Major General Dorah Xaba, to visit the crime scene and the slain officer’s family to pay their respects and pledge the police’s unwavering efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice.
During the visit, MEC Macie reaffirmed the police’s commitment to bringing the suspects to justice.
“We want them, whether they’re alive or dead. It’s good that we now have a breakthrough in the case and a direction to follow. Unfortunately, incidents like these are part of our duty. However, what brings us comfort is knowing Sergeant Mtshweni was serving in his uniform when he lost his life. This reflects his dedication, and we extend our condolences to his family and loved ones.”
READ | Ermelo cop murder suspects remain behind bars
A multidisciplinary team, including crime intelligence operatives, detectives, and the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI), is working around the clock to track down the remaining suspects.
The SAPS has offered a reward of R150 000 for information leading to the identification and arrest of the perpetrators. Anyone with information that may assist in the investigation is requested to call the Crime Stop number 08600 10111 or send information via the MySAPS app.





