KANYAMAZANE – The Shongwe family is pleading with local police to start a search for their son, who has been missing for two weeks after being kidnapped and assaulted.
Muzi Shongwe (36) and three others were suspected of burglary, where items to the estimated value of R 11 000 were stolen. These include a 40 inch TV, three smartphones and clothing items.
They were then allegedly kidnapped and assaulted. On April 9, two bodies of the four suspects were discovered in Pienaar while the other escaped with injuries.
Muzi’s family says they are shattered that he’s still has not been found despite their efforts to seek intervention from police. According to his aunt, Jabu Sikhonde, last week Wednesday police accompanied them to search where the other two deceased had been found.
“Unfortunately, unfavorable weather did not allow for the search to continue further, but this week it’s better. We are in the dark currently. We do not know if he is still alive or not. What is more frustrating is that they did not inform us of the K9 Dog Unit continuing with the search over the weekend. It is only today that we heard from another cop about recent developments,” said Sikhonde.
Two suspects, Precious Sungulu (31) and Sanele Sungulu (31) who are siblings, appeared in the Kanyamzane Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. They are facing two counts of murder, assault with grievous bodily harm, and three counts of kidnapping .
“All we are asking for us for the police to intensify the search so we can find closure as a family. We have tried to search in hospitals and mortuaries without any success,” said Sikhonde.
The matter was postponed Friday, April 22 for a formal bail application in the Kabokweni Magistrate’s Court.