MBOMBELA – Competent service providers will be appointed for the reconstruction of damaged infrastructure caused by the recent floods.
This is according to Co-Operative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC Mandla Msibi, who held a media briefing on Thursday morning to give updates on government’s flood intervention efforts.
To date, there have been two fatalities reported, four people missing and severe damage in three municipalities – Mbombela, Bushbuckridge and Nkomazi. The estimated damage from the flooding is about R300 million.
Msibi said the work done on infrastructure projects by contractors previously appointed shows signs of poor workmanship and quality, hence a budget will be allocated and programs set for the recovery plan after consolidations.
VIDEO | Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs department held a media briefing concerning the floods affecting Nkomazi and other areas in Mbombela. Present was the mayor of the district and local municipalities, Jester Sidel and Sibongile Makushe-Mazibuko. pic.twitter.com/lvgAQOgbmK
— Mpumalanga Mirror (@MPMirror) February 16, 2023
He urged the administrative government to appoint credible service providers to carry out tasks diligently. “A certain criteria will be required for all projects and that will be closely monitored. It does not mean because you’re a local, you automatically qualify to be appointed. However, locals will be considered as part of economic development,” said Msibi.
Ehlanzeni District Municipality Executive Mayor Jester Sidel warned residents to be vigilant as the rain is persistent. “With all the reports we’ve received, it is clear that the situation is dire. Our message to communities is to limit traveling unless it’s an emergency or need to access essential services,” she said.