Two toddlers died in a house fire yesterday at Amersfoort. According to police, the twins and their cousin, all aged two, were left in the house with a lit candle as there was no electricity when their guardian went to a local shop.
“Moments later, neighbours saw flames and called for help, their guardian arrived and she was informed that the children were inside the house,” read the police statement.
They managed to rescue one of the twins, a boy, while the two girls were later certified dead at the scene by medical personnel. The boy was rushed to the hospital where he’s currently receiving medical attention. An inquest case was registered at Amersfoort SAPS and the matter is being investigated.
Meanwhile, Premier Refilwe Mtshweni-Tsipane visited the family. “We are saddened by the incident. I’ve visited the injured child in hospital and I’ve ordered the tertiary hospital in Emalahleni to send an ambulance that will collect the child and be treated there. We are waiting for one of the parents to arrive from KwaZulu-Natal to discuss a way forward,” said Mtshweni-Tsipane-Tsipane.